Historically, most individuals have had to navigate home access to internet, devices, and technical support on their own, which leaves some unable to fully participate in our society, democracy and economy. Reliance on group access at anchor institutions, such as public libraries was inconvenient prior to COVID is now not a safe option. Digital inclusion has not yet been fully woven into our social support systems and community institutions. ,
What are Digital Navigators*?
Digital Navigators are organisations and individuals who address the whole digital inclusion process — home connectivity, devices, and digital skills — with community members through repeated interactions.
- OpenHub provides digital inclusion services and consults organizations entering the digital inclusion space to ensure that their constituents can connect with them online.
- OpenHub provides Digital Navigation services to individuals, agencies and educational institutions.
- OpenHub is a certified Digital Literacy Assessment Center (NorthStar Digital Literacy Assessment)
We work with organizations and bring in turnkey customizable programs. We have an incredible staff of instructors from top technical professionals and STEM educators who can come into your organization in person and create a program that students will be excited to attend. We delivered successful programs and Tech Foundations courses for Dutchess Workforce Development board,, Orange Works, Suny Ulster, Orange-Ulster BOCES, Newburgh Free Library.
WE OFFER CURRICULUM AND LIVE INSTRUCTORS FOR DIGITAL FOUNDATIONS + TECH SKILLS PROGRAMS
Community Collaboration and the Hudson Valley Digital Inclusion Coalition
We are forming the Hudson Valley Digital Inclusion Coalition announced 10/28th/2021 at the Third Hudson Valley Tech Festival. Founding members: OpenHub, WDI, National Digital Inclusion Alliance, Newburgh Free Library, STEM Alliance.
Read Data Centric Hudson Valley Manifesto
Digtal Inclusion Manifesto
The next steps
Take our Digital Assessment Survey to help us understand the needs,
hank you for being part of the solution. Join the movement!
Digital Navigator Resources
- Digital Basics and Digital Citizenship course
- Digital Inclusion 101: https://www.digitalinclusion.org/digital-inclusion-101/
- Hudson Valley Can Code https://hudsonvalleycancode.com/category/digital-inclusion/
- Free and Low cost Internet Plans: https://www.digitalinclusion.org/free-low-cost-internet-plans/
- Bruce Kushnik and Irregulators investigate How America’s Communications Companies are Holding the United States Hostage
- Let's Fix the Digital Divide - Aunt Ethel Explains the Telco Accounting Scandal that Caused the Digital Divide
Digital navigators are trusted guides who assist community members in internet adoption and the use of computing devices. Digital navigation services include ongoing assistance with affordable internet access, device acquisition, technical skills, and application support.
Digital Inclusion refers to the activities necessary to ensure that all individuals and communities, including the most disadvantaged, have access to and use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs). This includes 5 elements:
- affordable, robust broadband internet service;
- nternet-enabled devices that meet the needs of the user;
- access to digital literacy training;
- quality technical support; and
- applications and online content designed to enable and encourage self-sufficiency, participation and collaboration.
Digital Inclusion must evolve as technology advances. Digital Inclusion requires intentional strategies and investments to reduce and eliminate historical, institutional and structural barriers to access and use technology.
Digital Equity is a condition in which all individuals and communities have the information technology capacity needed for full participation in our society, democracy and economy. Digital Equity is necessary for civic and cultural participation, employment, lifelong learning, and access to essential services.
* The Digital Navigators Framework provided by National Digital Inclusion Alliance (NDIA)